Because sushi in the United States has been westernized, the sushi that’s eaten here tastes different from what you’ll get in Japan. Sushi is a Japanese dish that contains any number of ingredients in a variety of combinations, including seasoned sushi rice—a short-grained sticky rice—seaweed (nori), raw fish, cooked fish, crab, shrimp, cucumber and avocado. Sushi is often confused with sashimi. To remember the difference, keep in mind that sushi has seasoned rice and toppings, while sashimi is just a piece of raw fish.
Local favorites vary from place to place, and presentation, ingredients and taste can be different depending on the restaurant. If you’re new to sushi, here are five of the most popular sushi rolls in Phoenix, AZ that you ought to try:
- California roll: It doesn’t sound Japanese, but believe it or not, the California roll is a Japanese sushi roll that was created by a Japanese chef working in California. This roll is in the inside-out sushi category, meaning the nori (seaweed) holds the mayo mixture, imitation crabmeat, avocado and cucumber on the inside and the cooked sushi rice covers the outside. The roll is then topped with fish roe. When avocado is out of season, some sushi chefs use mango or banana as a substitute.
- Avocado roll: Although an extremely simple roll, the avocado roll is incredibly tasty. And whether made in a full sheet of nori or half sheet (also known as half-futomaki) style, it makes a delightful light snack or meal. Seasoned sushi rice, sheets of nori and avocados are the ingredients needed to make a basic yummy avocado sushi roll in Phoenix, AZ.
- Philadelphia roll: Like a number of other sushi rolls, the Philadelphia roll is a westernized roll that you’re not likely to find in Japan. This sushi roll in particular includes cream cheese as a main staple; in fact, the Philadelphia roll is probably the only sushi that uses a dairy product. It’s made with either raw or smoked salmon along with avocado, onions, asparagus and sesame seeds. So, if you fancy the taste combination of cream cheese, nori, rice and fish, this roll is for you!
- Rainbow roll: The rainbow roll is a dressed-up California roll that’s made with several different fish and fruit toppings. The sushi-grade fish is often slices of yellowtail, sea bass, tuna or salmon, which is layered on top of the roll to resemble a rainbow. Each roll has a different color depending on the fish. The ingredients on the inside of the rainbow roll also vary, but you’re likely to get shrimp tempura, cucumber and/or asparagus.
- Spicy salmon roll: Inside a rice-covered spicy salmon roll is minced salmon mixed with spicy mayo. While this is the simplest way to make a spicy salmon roll, it can also be combined with other ingredients, like avocado, cucumber and tobiko.
Whether you are ready to taste your first sushi roll in Phoenix, AZ or enjoy sushi on a regular basis, come to PURE Sushi Colony, where the sushi-grade fish is always fresh!
Categorised in: Sushi Roll